Food Safety and the Health of our employees and customers are our top priorities at Herr’s as we continue to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19). Given the rapidly evolving situation, the Herr’s Management Team is monitoring and updating measures daily to ensure a safe working environment and the consistent supply of high-quality products. Our production facilities are, and have been, certified at the highest level of safety and food quality (SQF) in the food industry.
Below are additional actions we have implemented across our operations:
- Educated employees on the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) health recommendations
- Cancelled all non-essential employee travel
- Implemented enhanced sanitation protocols in all Herr’s offices, manufacturing facilities, warehouses and sales branches.
- Increased social distancing guidelines in all Herr’s offices, manufacturing facilities, warehouses and sales branches.
- Implemented remote working where feasible.
- Required all visitors / contractors to be screened regarding recent travel, illness or symptoms.
- Replaced onsite vendor meetings with video/phone meetings.
- Contacted suppliers to request their formal assessment of risks to operations and to request that they notify us if they expect any delays in fulfilling our orders.
- Canceled public tours and closed the Visitor Center indefinitely as of March 13th.
In addition to the preventative measures, the following illustrates our procedures in the event of a confirmed case of Coronavirus in one of our facilities:
- Consistent with guidance from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other health authorities, the employee will be quarantined and receive medical care as necessary.
- Take all necessary steps to identity and notify individuals, including retail customers, who worked closely with the individual and have them self-quarantine at home for a period of 14 days.
- We will then close this section of the production facility/branch in order to conduct a deep cleaning of the potentially contacted areas and equipment based on CDC guidelines and using EPA-approved registered products for COVID-19.
- Maintain closure of said production facility (area)/branch for 24 hours after deep cleaning has been conducted.
- Reopen facility and resume operations.
Lastly, our Herr’s production facilities maintain the highest level of safety and food quality in the food industry with SQF certification. As it pertains to finished goods and packaging, our GMP’s (Good Manufacturing Practices) inherently prevent the transmission of foodborne illnesses. It is also important to note that the FDA and CDC has stated that there is no evidence of food or food packaging being associated with transmission of COVID-19. Additionally, per CDC, COVID-19 has poor survivability on surfaces.
Thank you for your support as we remain committed to continuing to supply our consumers and community with highest quality products and service as we navigate this fast-changing environment.